Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2011

LENNY (1974)

DIRECTOR: Bob Fosse
CAST: Dustin Hoffman, Valerie Perrine

3.5 out of 5

"Lenny" is about the life and downfall of the controversial stand-up comedian, Lenny Bruce. It received 6 Oscar nominations.

Filmed in a quasi-documentary style, I found myself not being able to get comfortable with it. Handheld shots are mixed with stationary. I however, did like the use of the gritty B&W for the film.

What makes this film so good is the performance by Dustin Hoffman who takes on the title character. Within the first few words, I knew that unlike some actors, I had not seen Mr. Hoffman perform this one. Playing his wife was the then up and coming Valerie Perrine, who didn't necessarily wow me but I was not disappointed at all by her performance.

If you want a gritty, sometimes funny and very adult oriented movie (nudity, language, drug use) with a wonderful Dustin Hoffman performance, I recommend "Lenny."

No comments:

Post a Comment