Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

FILM REVIEW: MAC AND ME (1988)


Director: Stewart Raffill
Cast: Christine Ebersole, Jonathon Ward, Tina Caspary, Lauren Stanley, Jade Calegory

2 out of 5

Mac and Me is the story of " Mysterious Alien Creature" and his family accidently taken to earth. The youngest is separated and befriends four kids.

This movie did have high hopes in the beginning. Never mind the fact that it is an E.T. ripoff down to the singing of "The Twilight Zone" theme and I believe the same neighborhood. Also, put aside that this is a brand whore's dream. Here's a list products I noticed (by noticed, I mean clearly seen, 3 secs or more of screen time):

Dos Equis
Skittles
Coke-a-Cola
United Moving
Chicago Cubs
LA Dodgers
Avia Shoes
Sears (character who worked there)
Coors
McDonald's (which had a birthday party, group of rehearsed dancers in the parking lot and inside, a character who worked there and Ronald frickin McDonald.)

The alien creatures for the most part are latex suits with actors inside. Nothing to be proud about. Some special effects were good. Others were really bad.

Acting wasn't terrible. Some of Michael's (Jonathon Ward) lines and emotions seemed forced. I enjoyed Christine Ebersole as the mom and am now happy to know where I've known her from.

 I was surprised to see that a musical idol of mine, Alan Silvestri, had scored the film. This is not his best. Far from it. My guess is the producers didn't want to pay him because he had already had success with "Back to the Future" and "Romancing the Stone." Or perhaps he was spread thin considering "Mac and Me", "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and "My Stepmother is an Alien," which he all scored came out in 1988 (we know the winner of the three).

Now, the biggest reason for the bad rating...the ending. I'm not going to tell you what happens. You'll just have to watch it or for some, like me, watch it again after a long period of absence.

I only recommend "Mac and Me" really to those that haven't seen it in a while. You'll probably will come out of it dissapointed if you have not viewed it. Also, note to parents with younger children, some of the scenes towards the end are scary. So much that I'd say horrific so over the age of 8 or 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment